Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Found a New Friend

So I met a girl today. I know: shocker. What with my sunny disposition, I thought I would never meet anybody. And yet, I met a girl. She was pretty and nice, too!

So I was sitting at Starbucks reading during my lunch break and I hear someone say, "Excuse me." I look up from my book and there she is: a girl, early twenties, pale skin and jet black hair, and she's smiling. She's smiling at me. "Do you mind if I sit here?" she asks. "All the other tables are full." I can barely mumble "sure," but she sits down nonetheless.

Now, if this was the extent of the conversation, I would have been as happy as a clam. But no: as I went back to reading my book (The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson), she pulls out her book which just so happens to be written by the same author (Warbreaker). This segues into her asking me about my book and me recommending other books by Sanderson (she hadn't read the Mistborn trilogy yet) and then other fantasy books (she's a fan of Discworld!) and then we were deep in conversation about fantasy in television and film (she believes the Game of Thrones show is making a resurgence in fantasy television, while I'm still convinced only big budget movies like the Lord of the Rings can do them well) when I realized that my lunch break is almost over.

Finally, she holds out her hand and says, "I'm Claire, by the way." I shake her hand (and man, it must have been cold outside, because her hand was freezing) and tell her my name; then I rush back to work. And I realize that I never got her number.

Which probably means I will never ever see her again.

Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment