Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I Can't Hide From My Mind

I'm avoiding Claire. I didn't go to Starbucks for lunch today. I stayed in the lunch room at my work. Didn't leave the office at all until the end of work. I don't know why I'm doing this. I'm just being paranoid.

I called the police and asked about the homeless man. I asked if they caught him yet. They said I shouldn't be worried and that they had found him. Specifically, the found him in an alleyway, dead of hypothermia. I asked how that was possible - it couldn't have been that cold, even at night. The policeman on the found sounded like he didn't care.

Finally, I asked who the homeless man was. What his name was. The policeman on the other end (who sounded, quite frankly, bored) told me the man did have a college ID on him: his name was Professor Maxwell Gibbs. I Googled the name. He apparently used to teach a class on "Entropy and the Arrow of Time" at the local college. But he wasn't listed as a faculty member after 2008.

Perhaps it's time for a field trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment